View Single Post
Old 10-03-2008, 10:22 PM

Jaycee is on a distinguished road
I think you should definitely install the latest update.

First of all, check here to see all the history you need regarding the changes since 4-1/50, the most significant of which is Perspective Mode which you don't have.

If you're confident with downloading files and burning images then you shouldn't have any real problem. The install process in your car is very straightforward as long as you follow the procedure exactly.

The file in the very first post of this thread will download as a 97.5MB (or thereabouts) .rar WinRAR file. When extracted you will have a 250MB (or thereabouts) .ISO file. Burn this image to a disc using MagicISO, ImgBurn, Nero or whatever in Mode 2. Once burned, open the disc to view the contents, you should have approximately 13 folders and 41 files immediately visible, the majority of the files are SoftConfig.table files. These figures only relate to this v32 disc of course, but it's just a rough confirmation check that you've burnt the disc correctly.

The install procedure is described in many locations on here, and is as follows :

1) Open tailgate and driver's door and leave open
2) Go to the boot and wait for the red light on your nav unit to go out, which may take a couple of minutes, be patient!
3) Eject the map disc, I've found that you need to press the eject button twice to do this, once to wake the unit up and once to eject the disc
4) Go back to the front and switch the ignition to position 1 - DO NOT close the driver's door!
5) Return to the boot and insert your newly-burned software disc
6) Look forward and observe the screen, it may go black for a few seconds and should then show "Software will update"
7) The update process will start and a progress bar will appear at the bottom of the screen, this phase may take up to 6 minutes
8) When the "Reboot" screen eventually appears, eject the software disc, go to the front and confirm reboot by pressing the right hand button
9) Return to the boot and insert the map disc.

Don't rush the process, if your screen goes black and doesn't start the update process (Step 6) after 10 minutes or so then you have a problem, however, if you're methodical with the entire process, right from the file download point, then all should be absolutely fine.

You will probably then want to carry out the next few steps :

1) Log onto X5 World and ask how to select Perspective Mode
2) Select Perspective Mode, the majority like it but a handful don't
3) Log onto X5 World and tell us all that you've fallen in love with your nav system all over again, and that you can't believe you haven't done this before!
12) Feel proud that you've just saved yourself the huge amount the Dealer was going to charge!

I think that's about it, I'm sure others will probably fine tune the process above. Additionally, which 2008-1 disc do you have and does it have i-TMC? (aka Traffic Messaging) this is indicated by the presence of "TMC" at the bottom middle of your nav screen. If not, there's a few of us who can point you in the right direction to get the latest 2008-2 disc with i-TMC.

If you're not confident with the download and burning process, the same source above will also provide you with disc v32.

Last edited by Jaycee; 10-03-2008 at 11:43 PM.

Sponsored Links