View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 12:29 AM

X5 Meister is on a distinguished road
Just wanted to know, because cars made up to 9/2004 have 2 hoses to replace and not just 1.

Based on the temps you see a 0 weight oil would be preferable to the 5 weight for less wear. Not sure if it will help directly but getting it to flow easier and up to operating temp I would suspect would help at least cut down the amount of moisture at least a little bit. In that regard a block heater of some sort would help a little too. Remember what you want is to avoid getting the CCV stuck (open or closed) from the accumulation of moisture or cheese or whatever. My guess as to why BMW redesigned the cylinder head cover (the new one is called an "optimized" cylinder head cover!) is that the CCV was integrated into the head cover making it harder to access, clean, replace and maybe even more prone to outright failure/clogging. By creating an external CCV connected to insulated hoses they are probably not so much fixing the problem completely (though I could be wrong) but making it less likely to happen as the hoses probably don't get as cold as the cylinder head itself, as well as easier to access for cleaning or outright (cheaper) replacement.

Sometimes the BMW parts guys are more forthcoming with honest info then the service guys. Have you dealt with Bavaria BMW up there?

If I hear anything else on the topic, I'll be sure to let you know.

Last edited by X5 Meister; 03-03-2009 at 03:22 AM.

Sponsored Links