View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 02:37 PM

shupadupa is on a distinguished road
Question DSC Light-X3 permanently illuminated

Cliff Notes:
1.) If the 4x4/DSC is illuminated perpetually, do i still have AWD/x-Drive or is it now RWD only?

2.) Any more thoughts on what is causing 4x4/DSC light to stay illuminated?

3.) Where is the X3 speed/rotation sensor located? RealOEM.com BMW E83 X3 3.0i Hydro unit DXC/fastening/sensors as you can see it costs $556 USD.

Alright all,

I have done searches on the DSC Light staying illuminated and possible root causes with the two most popular being:

Rear ABS/Speed Sensor-X5
Rotation Speed Sensor-X3

First time it came on, it reset itself. Now it is permanent and have done the "lock to lock" reset (yet haven't disconnected the battery since i think it is more than a simple "re-boot").

The info on the X5 is more voluminous than the X3 so i wanted to post.

I wanted to inquire with the group (i hope Weasal weighs in) whether i still have AWD functioning yet the DSC/ABS may be malfunctioning or if i am fully RWD now. It is snowing up in Cleveland so i could easily launch the sucker on a snow covered road and see how the SAV reacts from a traction perspective, but haven't yet.

A couple of months ago i was having some part throttle hesitation and was thinking it was valvetrain related, and really never figured it out until i found that all my tires were at about 20PSI (since it got cold), once i re-inflated the tires, the hesitation was gone, which would say the problem was more x-drive/drivetrain related than valvetrane.

I now wonder if the drivetrain issue (which was evident for about two months) could have damaged the speed/rotation sensor on the X3 and is causing my fault? I ONLY have the 4x4 light on the dash (no ABS, SES, etc.) and was contemplating taking it to BMW to have them check it out, just don't feel like dropping $1K before the holidays. Is the speed/rotation sensor on the rear passenger side of the SAV mounted near the pumpkin/rear diff, attached two pics of what i think is the sensor?

Thanks a lot for your thoughts...

-Jon
Attached Images

Sponsored Links