View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 11:48 AM

Best4x4xFAR is on a distinguished road
E53 Maintenance Schedule Questions..

Okay,

I’m a newbie to BMW, so cut me some slack if you can. I’ve searched around and read a few things, but still have a few questions. I’ve been a car guy all my life, but this is our first BMW (’06 X5). We bought it with 46K miles last year, and it is now up to 62K miles. It is under CPO warranty, not that this matters for maintenance per say.

I thought it would be due for the ‘Inspection II’ service at 60K miles, but my dealer service advisor says that it is not due until the service reminder expires, and I will get a message in the instrument cluster that it is due for service.

When reviewing the Inspection II service guidelines, it seems like an oil & filter change and a lot of nothing else other than visual inspections. To me it is time for a lot of items to be serviced. Coolant system flush and refill, power steering flush and refill, brake fluid flush and refill, transmission flush, filter change and refill, front/rear diff and transfer case fluid change, engine oil & filter change, accessory drive belt replacement, fuel filter change, etc..

When I ask my service advisor, he claims most for these systems are not serviceable and are lifetime fills. This seems hard to swallow for me, and seems like the mindset of the ‘lease vehicle’ owner who turns them in for a new one every couple of years.

Am I way off base? My wife thinks I’m nuts for wanting to do a lot of work that BMW says is unnecessary, and maybe I am, but it just doesn’t seem reasonable that the fluids BMW uses don’t get dirty, absorb moisture or breakdown with time and mileage like every other fluid I’ve come across in 25+ years of being a car nut..

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

--------------------
Black Sapphire Metallic/Sand Beige '13 E70 35d, SP, NAV, Tech, Comfort Access/Seats
20" Style 214's Wrapped in Continental DWS06 Extreme Contacts

(SOLD) Alpine White/Sand Beige '06 E53 3.0, SP, PP, CC, RC, NAV, Sat Radio
19" Style 63's
Wrapped in Bridgestone Dueler HP Sports-- Summer Shoes
18" Style 131's Wrapped in 255/55-18 Nokian WRG2 SUV's -- Winter Boots

Sponsored Links