View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 09:45 AM

chapsman is on a distinguished road
Instrument Cluster Pixel Fix (beware)

My experience: I have an '03 X5 4.4i with nav. The non-working pixels were driving me nuts so i tried the 'fix' from the Tips and Tricks section.

It went from bad to worse. I now have more inoperable pixels and the left side of the readout is quite dim...it wasn't before. My intention of this post is not to blame the author, only to make you aware that this may not work very well.

I followed the instructions to the T minus model differences. Removal from the dash is very easy and separating the heart of the cluster from the clear lense part isn't too difficult. As the instructions note, you will not be able to expose all of the electronic parts, even after removing the torx screws. It will loosen enough to get the nozle of your non-residue electronic cleaner inside.

After reassembly and re-installation, I noticed more inoperable pixels and dimming of the left side desplay. So I took it all apart again and tried to dissasemble further. This is where it went from worse to more worse...Do not try to dissasemble further by removing the needles of the guages!! I removed 1 and it no longer works. I figured I'd try it because I had nothing to lose. It didn't help anyway.

So, I have the part on order from the dealer. This isn't a part you can get from eBay or the local parts shop. The dealer has to program the mileage. It will be nice to have all the pixels back again...but the price tag stings!

Good luck!

Sponsored Links