View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010, 05:59 PM

CharlieHustleX5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2red View Post
The aux fan's primary job is to aid in the transfer of heat from the a/c condenser. While you may (or may not) notice a difference on the inside, the high side on your a/c system has to get well into the 200 range just to accomplish the job that would normally happen at 175/180 PSI.

For those that disable/remove their aux fan for whatever reason, you're really doing your a/c system a huge disservice.

Take a look at a large commercial building's air conditioning/refrigeration system. The condenser will always have a huge fan, and sometimes a water immersion system to coax the refrigerant back from a gas to a liquid. It doesn't matter if it's ammonia or R134. The science is the same.

The engine's operating temperature has no effect on this transformation.
I understand the purpose of the aux fan and its importance to the AC system. I was not encouraging the disabling or removal of the fan all together. If you pay attention to the post before mine, urcbmw8 had stated :

"I've been driven about one month now without AC fan because I don't use the AC. I may not need to replace it right now if I don't turn on AC. I just worry whether my car will be overheated if I drive in the hot summer days even though I don't turn on AC. Does anyone have any idea?"

My response was to that question asked. In my situation, the Aux fan had died and I have not come around to replacing it. I did not use the AC as a result of that until the fan was replaced. Reading is fundamental...

For anyone who plans to use their AC on a regular basis, the aux fan cannot be ignored or removed. The fan is absolutely necessary to cool the condensor down while traveling at city speeds, sitting at idle, and when temperatures are high. I learned to drive with the windows open until the heat was too unbearable. Thats when I bit the bullet and replaced the fan assembly.

I agree with all your statements regarding AC systems and the need for a fan to aid in cooling the condensor.

Sponsored Links