View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 09:22 AM

slilley is on a distinguished road
2007 X3 Battery Replacement

My wife's 2007 X3 battery was only reporting 12.0 or 11.9 volts, instead of the 12.5 to 12.6 volts that I'm used to seeing, so I figured I'd do a preventative replacement before the cold weather hits. Normally I expect to get 5-6 years out of the original battery, but I didn't want to take a chance with my wife's car. Plus, my '04 330i was still on it's stock battery, so I figured I'd replace both batteries.

The first battery I tried was a Autozone Duralast 49-DL, which I've used on other BMWs. Two problems with that battery in my X3: (1) it was slightly too large, so the tie-down bolt wouldn't reach without me doing some grinding, and (2) the vent (located at the center of the battery) was compressed by the tie-down bracket. So that went back to Autozone.

Next up was the Walmart Everstart Maxx-94R Battery. I had read that this was an identical match to my 2004 330i stock battery, and it was. $82 after core refund.

In the X3, the Everstart Maxx-94R is about 1.5 inches shorter than the OEM X3 battery, and perhaps 1/8" lower. The CCA numbers were close enough for me, and the vent location was identical to the stock BMW battery. I used some strips of rubber I had lying around to make the fit snug under the battery tie-down bracket, filling in the 1/8" gap.

So while it's not an exact match to the OEM battery, the Everstart Maxx-94 was good enough for me. Note that there are two versions of this battery out there: an older white version (P/N 94R or 94RN), and a newer black version. I'd always opt for the newer battery, so be sure to compare date-codes if you have a choice.

Regards,
Steve

Sponsored Links