View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 11:12 AM

bfrederick521 is on a distinguished road
2002 X5 Auto Transmission Service

Wanted to posted a little something about my experience with changing my ATF and filter on my 2002 X5 3.0i. There is a lot of opinionated information out there and I went back and forth with to do or not to do this but finally plunged. The car has 101586 on the odometer and I am a long time BMW owner (7 total) with 3 model years and series in the driveway right now. I am a believer in old school maintenance and that is why this was such delimma.

So, finally got the X in the garage lastnight and wife had the kids so off we went... I took a little drive around the neighborhood as the car had been sitting for a few hours to warm it up. I am a big guy 6'1" 210 lbs but the X5 had enough height for me to just lay on the garage floor and wiggle underneath to access the pan.

I first checked the fill plug, that I could get it off! Then went ahead and drained it! Wow, there was a lot of fluid that came out and I thought it would never stop draining. Took my toruque wrench and set it to 10NM to check the bolts from pan to tranny. They were and then I verified this with the Bentley and began to unscrew all of them. I left 4 bolts on the corners finger tight to support the pan and then using one hand unscrewed theses and dropped the pan. There was a little oil remaining but it was not enough you couldn't support it with one hand.

Removed the pan, drained it completely and wiped it out. I also removed the old gasket, wiped the mating surfaces and cleaned the magnet. Mine had a large 2X2 approximate magnet in the corner that was covered in a metal sludge several mm thick. (Pictures to follow).

After cleaning up the pan, I used the new fluid to lubricate the mating surfaces and seat the new gasket. I oriented the new gasket exactly as the previous one was. At this time I went under the car and removed the old filter. Both of the "hard" rubber washers were still up in the transmission housing. I did not want to use a screw driver to get the out and risk scratching anything so I just used a shop towel and my finger, which was small enough to fit into the rings and gently worked them out.
I also used some new fluid to lubriate the new filter washers to insert the new filter.

I inserted the new filter by just pushing striaght up. I did not want to fracture the plastic neck of the filter. Then I re-installed the pan. Again, I started with 4 screws on the corners and hand tightened. Then I installed the rest to a hand tight state. I used the new screws that came with my kit but I will address that later. After getting all the screws in I torqued each down in a pattern. Starting at the 4 corners then systematically on each end working my way to the center or middle of the pan, alternating left the right. Again, 10NM. Then I did the drain plug, 18NM

Filling was tough and my arm got tired of pumping. Using a standard hand pump for a gallon jug. I bought these at Napa I believe but I have 4. (Redline 75/90;75/140;MTL;D4ATF for my Diff's and Manuals trannies in other cars). I used the D4ATF pump anyway and poured all the "specific" ATF in clean gallon jug. Filled to a small stream was dribbling. Hand tightened fill plug, started car and gently with foot on the brake went through the gears, swithcing to manual mode also and shifing 1,2,3. Wouldn't go into 4 or 5 because we weren't moving. I did this several times. Shut down and check fluid level and added the rest. I used a total of 5 liters of fluid and then tightened the fill plug, also 18NM.

Went for a test drive, about 5 miles and shifted manually through the gears as often as the road conditions permitted as well as letting it shift on it own. Seemed smoother, not a big clunk from 1-2 or 2-3.

PARTS:

I ordered my gasket and filter set from BMW! Circle BMW actually and Chris has always been great with mail order. The set was about $100 and the set included filter/gasket/bolts.

Bav Auto got me the fluid based on the blue label and P/N on my tranny. It was a Dex VI fluid made by Fuchs (Titan ATF 6000 SL). I see all the recommendations now for the Valvoline which is substantially cheaper and if I see some good opinion I may try it next time.

Drove the kids to school today and no problems.

Will keep you posted....but now it also looks like I have an oil pan gasket leak! Thoughts anyone?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links