Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: on earth
Posts: 606
puddinboo is on a distinguished road
rear wiper arm problem

does anybody`s rear wiper wipe fully ,mine only wipes 1/4 of what its suppose too I`m thinking the spring in the wiper arm is weak and might have to buy new wiper arm ,unless there is a fix for this issue and I did replace the old wiper blade with new one.
__________________
2003 bmw x5 3.0i ,200000km build date 2003-08-18
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 11-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ft. Wayne, IN
Posts: 75
imalabil is on a distinguished road
Mine does the same. I think the pivot gets corroded and the spring force can't be as effective. Also, the arm is real hard to bend, which will effectively provide more spring force. Guess I have to take it off and put it in a vice.
Bill
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-09-2013, 06:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: on earth
Posts: 606
puddinboo is on a distinguished road
I looked at the pivot points on mine and they have a bit of rust I`ll take a look at in the spring now .the weather is cold here and snowing now .
__________________
2003 bmw x5 3.0i ,200000km build date 2003-08-18
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-13-2013, 11:00 PM
civdiv99's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Yakima, WA
Posts: 341
civdiv99 is on a distinguished road
Mabe pull the inside trim panel and have a look at the unit. It is mounted with little plastic tabs that break off over time. The wiper shaft will remain through the hole, cause nowhere else to go, but the gear unit inside the tailgate gets all outta position.


Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinboo View Post
does anybody`s rear wiper wipe fully ,mine only wipes 1/4 of what its suppose too I`m thinking the spring in the wiper arm is weak and might have to buy new wiper arm ,unless there is a fix for this issue and I did replace the old wiper blade with new one.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-13-2013, 11:15 PM
X5SND's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Winnipeg, Mb
Posts: 1,900
X5SND is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by imalabil View Post
... I think the pivot gets corroded and the spring force can't be as effective. ...
Bingo.

You can try to work some lubricant into the pivot to try and free it up, but you'll likely be in the same situation not to long after. A couple alternatives would be to either A) get a new arm, and lube it regularly. B) search around here for the thread where a member updated his rear wiper to the all plastic volvo/land rover (IIRC) design. C) Delete it all together....you have two other mirrors to use in the winter.....all the rear wiper does is scratch the glass anyway.
__________________
2004 X5 3.0i

Mod list: Currently Longer than the maximum allowed characters that can be typed here...

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-13-2013, 11:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: on earth
Posts: 606
puddinboo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5SND View Post
Bingo.

You can try to work some lubricant into the pivot to try and free it up, but you'll likely be in the same situation not to long after. A couple alternatives would be to either A) get a new arm, and lube it regularly. B) search around here for the thread where a member updated his rear wiper to the all plastic volvo/land rover (IIRC) design. C) Delete it all together....you have two other mirrors to use in the winter.....all the rear wiper does is scratch the glass anyway.
I was thinking of getting rid of it just like you said I got mirrors to look out anyways and it does scratch the window. now I just need to figure out what to cover up the wiper spline on the motor with?
__________________
2003 bmw x5 3.0i ,200000km build date 2003-08-18
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-14-2013, 12:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Chestermere AB
Posts: 46
audiophool is on a distinguished road
Ours has a new arm. Still ineffective. Maybe I'll have a look on the interior mounting points to see if motor alignment is the problem.

And as for deleting or leaving it semi-operational and using the side mirrors only? Not if you like to run the mirrors properly adjusted.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



I


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:59 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
2013 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.