Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E70) Forum
Bimmer Tool Rental
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #111  
Old 12-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Teo Teo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 6
Teo is on a distinguished road
Question for Epacy on the MDS LUX LED v2:
The Heat Sink of this bulb seem to be pretty thick and I was wondering if you had managed to put the round black cover, at the back of the headlight assembly, with the bulb installed. The clearance between the socket of the OEM H8 bulb and the cover is pretty small ... 10 mm maybe.
When I look at pictures you took of the LUX bulb, I wonder and would appreciate you to clarify. You said it was difficult but did you manage to put the cap back in place, as is, or did you make a cut into it?
I understand that you elected to place the power module & fuse outside of the headlight assembly. To do that you must have made a cut in the plastic wall, right?
So far, any issue with the bulb? Still working OK? Thanks again.
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #112  
Old 12-06-2010, 08:34 AM
bren3085's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 136
bren3085 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Dilaro;773268]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN88GT View Post
Dilaro which ones are those?[/ QUOTE]
@Kevin: I used these ones:
Similar question, what did you do with the ballast in the end? I left mine inside the headlight housing, but im afraid that might get too hot and burn/ melt the wires.. did you mount yours some how?
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 12-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: You Ess
Posts: 250
Epacy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teo View Post
Question for Epacy on the MDS LUX LED v2:
The Heat Sink of this bulb seem to be pretty thick and I was wondering if you had managed to put the round black cover, at the back of the headlight assembly, with the bulb installed. The clearance between the socket of the OEM H8 bulb and the cover is pretty small ... 10 mm maybe.
When I look at pictures you took of the LUX bulb, I wonder and would appreciate you to clarify. You said it was difficult but did you manage to put the cap back in place, as is, or did you make a cut into it?
I understand that you elected to place the power module & fuse outside of the headlight assembly. To do that you must have made a cut in the plastic wall, right?
So far, any issue with the bulb? Still working OK? Thanks again.
The bulb assembly fits with no problems. There was no cut made in the cap for the bulb assembly or to accommodate the wires. You simply just press the cap down hard enough and twist to lock it with the wires running out from underneath the cap.
The bulbs are still working fine and looking great. I have the same LUX bulbs, an earlier version, in my M3 for a year now and no problems either.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 12-08-2010, 01:11 AM
8ball's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa,FL
Posts: 354
8ball is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teo View Post
I'm interested to read some reports from the people who have bought either the PIAA H-499 H-8 LED Marker or the T-Shape Faulkner to see how these ones do.
Anyone?


HID alternatives:
They seem VERY bright and likely to generate a lot of heat ... Don't think they represent a true alternative in trying to get closer to the latest BMW OEM DRL's.
I got the PIAA's; I've had them for a few years now and no problems. They were in my 2007 then changed them over to the new one. All the wireing goes inside the cap. Get no error codes, visibility during the day is not that bad for LED's it all depends at what angle your looking at them. At night they look great. There is a couple of pic's here towards the end.
2011 Vermillion Red 35i*Updated Pic's*
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 12-08-2010, 03:08 AM
Teo Teo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 6
Teo is on a distinguished road
Thanks, for the pictures on the PIAA LED's and, by the way, good looking car. I like the 214-Style 20" rim package. I picked it as well but wonder about the ride and the tire noise.

Back to the DRL's, most of you have seen the pics of the 2011 X5 launch in Florida, where they used European versions. Here is one of the links:
Ultimate Photo Gallery: 2010 BMW X5 LCI

In comparing all the pictures that have been posted so far, I do believe that the MDS LED LUX V2 (pictures posted by Epacy) are the closest to the new BMW OEM LED DRL's. I saw a 3-Serie this week, that looked very good, although in the middle of a sunny afternoon, both inner & outer rings being very visible.

I assume the Xtec LED's (T-Shape) are likely to be close to the PIAA's (V-Shape). By the way, here is another site selling the Xtec (UK):
XTEC LED ANGEL EYES MARKER KIT BMW e90,e60/3/4,X3,X4,X5 - Xenon HID Headlight Upgrade Kits from HIDs DIRECT Ltd


Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 12-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 31
Kalekainxx is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know what brand of LEDs are being used for each of these kits? PIAA, LUX, GP, etc?

Just got a 2011 X5, and just got around to looking at things to do with it, and since i'm in the commercial lighting industry (LED) i thought i start here.

The LEDs that are being used will be the difference in brightness (lumens output)between each of the different makes.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 12-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 64
paqs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalekainxx View Post
Does anyone know what brand of LEDs are being used for each of these kits? PIAA, LUX, GP, etc?

Just got a 2011 X5, and just got around to looking at things to do with it, and since i'm in the commercial lighting industry (LED) i thought i start here.

The LEDs that are being used will be the difference in brightness (lumens output)between each of the different makes.
With the name Lux they may well be using Luxeon LEDs, something like this probably:-

Cool White (6500K) 10mm Square Rebel - 180 lm
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 12-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 31
Kalekainxx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by paqs View Post
With the name Lux they may well be using Luxeon LEDs, something like this probably:-

Cool White (6500K) 10mm Square Rebel - 180 lm
So it's LEDs from Phillips. They are one of the top LEDs you can get.

How about the other ones?
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 01-11-2011, 04:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Coast
Posts: 35
jimmy08awd is on a distinguished road
^-Any updates on this?
I trying to decide between the LUX v.2 and PIAA's...
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 01-11-2011, 04:44 AM
Kloogy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Escondido, CA
Posts: 584
Kloogy is on a distinguished road
Go Lux. I've seen both in person. PIAAS do not stand a chance in daylight. Almost invisible.
__________________
2013 X5 Xdrive35i Premium
2013 F30 328i
2004 Mustang GT Very Modded...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



I


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:06 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
2013 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.