Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E70) Forum
Bimmer Tool Rental
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,983
Penguin is on a distinguished road
Diesel Exhaust Fluid Maintenance Plan Coverage - Final Answer?

Pardon me if this has been posted already, but I have found an actual statement from BMW on DEF coverage which should settle the issue:

"Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)2- drain and refill (only in conjunction with a covered engine oil and filter replacement)"

BMW North America


Now, this would certainly imply to me that DEF flush and fill should be covered every 12 months, regardless of mileage, since "covered engine oil and filter replacement" is a 12 month action.

This would also remove concerns about the stability and degradation of DEF older than 12 months.

But then again, BMW NA often does not understand the implications of the things they write and publish. This could be another example of their apparently poor understanding of English.

In any case, printing that link out and stuffing it in the glove box might not be a bad idea for anyone that does a 12 month oil change due to not putting enough miles on their X5 in 12 months to trigger the mileage-based oil change.
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 03-11-2010, 05:38 PM
JCL's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 11,551
JCL will become famous soon enoughJCL will become famous soon enough
I fully understand your logic. It makes perfect sense.

The only thing that may catch owners is the following line in the document you linked:

Quote:
A factory-recommended maintenance service item interval is determined either by the model-specific BMW Maintenance System (Service Interval Display or Condition Based Service...
Does your vehicle maintenance system indicate a 12 month oil and filter change on the service interval display? If so, you are set. If not, this may still leave it open to interpretation, or at worse, confirm that they will not do annual DEF flushes (whether or not those are really necessary is a whole separate discussion....)

BMW in Canada has been emphasizing that covered oil changes are as per the dash display, which is mileage and condition based on many models (except for brake fluid, on my vehicle, which is time based)

I am not clear on whether the E70 utilizes both time and mileage to call for the oil service.
__________________
2007 X3 3.0si, 6 MT, Premium, White

Retired:
2008 535i, 6 MT, M Sport, Premium, Space Grey
2003 X5 3.0 Steptronic, Premium, Titanium Silver

2002 325xi 5 MT, Steel Grey
2004 Z4 3.0 Premium, Sport, SMG, Maldives Blue
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,983
Penguin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post
I fully understand your logic. It makes perfect sense.

The only thing that may catch owners is the following line in the document you linked:

A factory-recommended maintenance service item interval is determined either by the model-specific BMW Maintenance System (Service Interval Display or Condition Based Service...

Does your vehicle maintenance system indicate a 12 month oil and filter change on the service interval display? If so, you are set. If not, this may still leave it open to interpretation, or at worse, confirm that they will not do annual DEF flushes (whether or not those are really necessary is a whole separate discussion....)

BMW in Canada has been emphasizing that covered oil changes are as per the dash display, which is mileage and condition based on many models (except for brake fluid, on my vehicle, which is time based)

I am not clear on whether the E70 utilizes both time and mileage to call for the oil service.
Again, perhaps BMW NA's difficult with English is the problem, but when they say "covered engine oil and filter replacement," I assume that if they give it to you free, that means "covered." So in spite of the sentence you found, most interpretations of the words would say that "covered engine oil and filter replacement" does not require "A factory-recommended maintenance service item interval is determined either by the model-specific BMW Maintenance System (Service Interval Display or Condition Based Service..."

Now, if BMW want's to eliminate the time-based free 12 month oil change, I would agree with your potential interpretation. But in the U.S. BMW does give the 12 month free oil change, even if the display does not indicate it, e.g., my 2004 Z4.

Still, in the end, they tend to do what they want, not what they say.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-12-2010, 02:54 AM
JCL's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 11,551
JCL will become famous soon enoughJCL will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
when they say "covered engine oil and filter replacement," I assume that if they give it to you free, that means "covered."
The quote I gave you above was the definition of what is covered. While some dealers may give you a free oil change on an annual basis, and even though BMW has issued a service bulletin on this for US customers, they specifically say in the document you linked that they will supply a DEF drain and fill according to the above definition, which specifically stated that it was when the dash lights came on.

I just think that context matters. If you are going to use the linked definition of whether DEF is covered, you should use the linked definition of when it is covered, IMO.

I wish you and other 35D owners all the best, and it would be nice if annual DEF flushes were covered for you. However, the linked document seems to be very specific that it is in fact not covered unless the dash lights come on.
__________________
2007 X3 3.0si, 6 MT, Premium, White

Retired:
2008 535i, 6 MT, M Sport, Premium, Space Grey
2003 X5 3.0 Steptronic, Premium, Titanium Silver

2002 325xi 5 MT, Steel Grey
2004 Z4 3.0 Premium, Sport, SMG, Maldives Blue
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,983
Penguin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post
The quote I gave you above was the definition of what is covered. While some dealers may give you a free oil change on an annual basis, and even though BMW has issued a service bulletin on this for US customers, they specifically say in the document you linked that they will supply a DEF drain and fill according to the above definition, which specifically stated that it was when the dash lights came on.

I just think that context matters. If you are going to use the linked definition of whether DEF is covered, you should use the linked definition of when it is covered, IMO.

I wish you and other 35D owners all the best, and it would be nice if annual DEF flushes were covered for you. However, the linked document seems to be very specific that it is in fact not covered unless the dash lights come on.
The annual oil change is not a dealer courtesy, it is a BMW NA policy.

So we'll have to agree to disagree. From what I read, the DEF is covered when the Oil change is covered, and if BMW does the oil change for free, an oil change is "covered," IMHO.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



I


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:06 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
2013 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.