Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2005, 06:02 PM
Chairman/Moderator/Premier Member

Kewl X5 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up AFE Intake installed in X5 3.0i

First of all, I want to let everyone know that Evosport did finally ship the package and it arrived late in my office complex Friday afternoon. However, the package went to the wrong suite somehow and finally my staff got the package. So, Evosport has been forgiven!

So if you want the AFE intake for the 3.0i or 4.4i, definitely order from Evosport!! Tell them you saw it on www.xoutpost.com

Well, it was pretty straightforward installing it. It took me about 30 minutes to do it. It was packed really well.

The AFE Intake for the 3.0i still uses the bottom half of the stock air box. The heat shield is made out of metal and replaces the top half of the OEM airbox and it is held by the same metal spring clips.

There is a rubber coupler to connect the top half of the air box to the air mass sensor.

Then you add the blue cone filter. Then you add the rubber stripping around the top edges of the AFE box.

This setup should increase airflow while shielding itself from the engine heat. Actually, the BMW airbox design is pretty decent to start off with cold air entering from the kidney grill to the air box area. Also, with using this design, you still avoid sucking up water unless you really submerge your X5.

There is just more surface area and free-flowing air with the AFE cone filter.

Driving impressions: no noticeable loss of low end torque. Smoother acceleration through the rpm band. More mid-RPM response for part throttle. A little more throatier intake sound at WOT but not obnoxious. Seems to like to reach redline more readily but our inline-6 engines has been always smooth and responsive. Idling is the same. (No, I didn't reset the adaptive electronic throttle yet).

On the side, I also have the Dinan Stage 3 software which goes with the Dinan Hi-Flow Throttle Body and the Dinan Auto Trans software. Also, as you can see in the pics, I have a Dinan strut bar just like Breyton X5.

So far, no SES light.

Enjoy the pics!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links

Old 05-09-2005, 06:05 PM

Removing the top half of the OEM airbox and separating it from the air mass sensor. Remove dirty OEM air filter. Replace top half of the air box with AFE intake heat shield and use the metal spring clips from the bottom half of the airbox.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2005, 06:08 PM

Talking

Putting on the rubber coupler to attach the AFE intake system to the air mass sensor and clamping it together.

Then add AFE blue cone filter and clamp it on...

Add rubber strip on the top edges of AFE intake heat shield.

Then, the top of the hood acts as the top of the AFE airbox.

Voila, AFE intake installed!
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2005, 06:18 PM

PersonaNonGrata is on a distinguished road
Very Kewl! I think that your driving impressions are promising but me thinks that they are due largely to your Dinan upgrades alone or working in conjunction with the intake. If I drop it in my 3.0 with just the (your used ) Remus, I doubt I'd feel the same effect as you.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:44 PM

Talking

I think the Dinan hi-flow throttle body only really helps with throttle response, but to be honest, it wouldn't hurt to try it out because you do have a more free-flowing exhaust. Air easy-in and easy-out is the key. Just make sure you put the EXIT ONLY sticker on your Remus pipes!

The E46 M3 with AFE intake with stock BMW software was producing about 10 extra HP at the rear wheel according to Evosport's dyno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonaNonGrata
Very Kewl! I think that your driving impressions are promising but me thinks that they are due largely to your Dinan upgrades alone or working in conjunction with the intake. If I drop it in my 3.0 with just the (your used ) Remus, I doubt I'd feel the same effect as you.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:55 PM

PersonaNonGrata is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewl X5
Just make sure you put the EXIT ONLY sticker on your Remus pipes!
I don't want to know what you did with the Remus before you sold it to me. That's between you and the Remus. Your urologist might want to know too, though. (Don't make me post that picture of the guy loving his Range Rover too much.)

I just might get this intake for the hell of it. I do want to wait and see how it runs on yours. I know you'll get lots of miles on it in no time.

Last edited by PersonaNonGrata; 05-09-2005 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:58 PM
breyton's here to stay..

breytonX5 is on a distinguished road
Very nice Charles! Looks great.

Dinan S1 pkg / 22" Iforged Swift - Toyo 295F*315R / Eisenmann Race - OEM tips / H & R 15mm front
30mm rear spacers / Euro-spec headlights / CF M Competition steering wheel / Full CF interior /
6000K D2S / HID fogs / AiBrights V3 / Interior Xenon / LED sidemarkers / Matte black grille & hood vents
Old 05-09-2005, 06:59 PM

Naw, the reference about EXIT ONLY only had to do with your locale of the X5!

Anyhow, I think you should get the AFE intake and try to get the special x5World discount!

Heck, I only have 119,xxx miles.

[QUOTE=PersonaNonGrata]
Quote:
Just make sure you put the EXIT ONLY sticker on your Remus pipes!

QUOTE]

I don't want to know what you did with the Remus before you sold it to me. That's between you and the Remus. Your urologist might want to know too, though. (Don't make me post that picture of the guy loving his Range Rover too much.)

I just might get this intake for the hell of it. I do want to wait and see how it runs on yours. I know you'll get lots of miles on it in no time.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:16 PM

calvinx5 is on a distinguished road
how does it sound??

very KOOL!! we have been waiting for CAI for X5 3.0 for a while!

great write up
Old 05-09-2005, 07:18 PM
SuperHero

SuperGreg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
First of all, I want to let everyone know that Evosport did finally ship the package
Good job Doc, looks great