Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X ///M Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-14-2009, 11:13 PM
Rez's Avatar
Rez Rez is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: WNY
Posts: 475
Rez is on a distinguished road
The break in

I am at 1k mile mark and have been thinking of doing at least an oil change within next 1k miles. Anybody done an oil change after break in?
This recommended on all M cars but this one?!?!
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 12-15-2009, 09:54 AM
HIRISC's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 498
HIRISC is on a distinguished road
I didn't do it.. if it's OK with BMW to let it ride, it's OK with me.
__________________
Go 50i or go home
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoCal - Orange County
Posts: 31
kamichael is on a distinguished road
I have heard yes and no on this one. My service advisor told me that all M series cars need to come in at about 1k to change various fluids - he said this was the case on the X5M as well. I thought it would be a good idea - anyone else know for sure on this? He is a knowledgeable guy who has worked with BMW for a long time and has also worked on my 08 M3.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-15-2009, 11:24 AM
TTBear's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 80
TTBear is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamichael View Post
I have heard yes and no on this one. My service advisor told me that all M series cars need to come in at about 1k to change various fluids - he said this was the case on the X5M as well. I thought it would be a good idea - anyone else know for sure on this? He is a knowledgeable guy who has worked with BMW for a long time and has also worked on my 08 M3.
Your service advisor is incorrect. This is the first M model that I am aware of, that doesn't require at least an oil change immediately after the break-in period is finished.
I believe this information is in the manual. It says nothing about requiring an oil change. My service advisor checked with BMW main office, and confirmed this.
That said, I will be changing the oil anyway. Winters here are harsh, and I change the oil on all our BMWs when the service indicator reaches half of what the required interval should be. Overkill, perhaps......
__________________
2009 Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4
(2006 Z4 M Roadster - Mary's )
(2012 X6///M )
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-15-2009, 06:48 PM
Rez's Avatar
Rez Rez is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: WNY
Posts: 475
Rez is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIRISC View Post
I didn't do it.. if it's OK with BMW to let it ride, it's OK with me.
It is ok for BMW that your brakes squeak as well, is that ok with you too?

I am more inclined to do extra oil changes if keeping the car for longer than 5 years is the goal. if you are getting rid of it after warranty sticking with BMW's minimum recommendation maybe ok.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-15-2009, 08:51 PM
LeMansX5's Avatar
Admin
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: X5world
Posts: 20,270
LeMansX5 has a spectacular aura aboutLeMansX5 has a spectacular aura aboutLeMansX5 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez View Post
I am at 1k mile mark and have been thinking of doing at least an oil change within next 1k miles. Anybody done an oil change after break in?
This recommended on all M cars but this one?!?!
I have heard people say that they have seen fine metal shavings in oil on first oil change on ///M.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 90
da3bous is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansX5 View Post
I have heard people say that they have seen fine metal shavings in oil on first oil change on ///M.

Which is fairly normal during break in, because the rod bearings and crank bearings are setting. Not to mention your cams are also settling in and the contact between the came lobs and the valve caps covering your springs. Thats why eventually overtime you need to get your valves adjusted because of the normal wear and tear!
__________________
Sold
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-15-2009, 09:37 PM
Rez's Avatar
Rez Rez is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: WNY
Posts: 475
Rez is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansX5 View Post
I have heard people say that they have seen fine metal shavings in oil on first oil change on ///M.
That is why I am concerned, even though this is normal, BMW dropping the 1200 mile service is somewhat puzzeling to me

Last edited by Rez; 12-15-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-15-2009, 10:54 PM
HIRISC's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 498
HIRISC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez View Post
It is ok for BMW that your brakes squeak as well, is that ok with you too?

LOL - no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez View Post
I am more inclined to do extra oil changes if keeping the car for longer than 5 years is the goal. if you are getting rid of it after warranty sticking with BMW's minimum recommendation maybe ok.
How often? If you're going to do it more than recommended, it's going to end up being a guess as to what you think is best.

I'm sure you know that BMW's recommended schedule of maintenance isn't a continuum - from minimum to maximum. It's one point.

Isn't going to hurt anything, except your free time, pocketbook, and the environment.

FWIW, I change cars every 3 years. I wouldn't personally drive a BMW outside of warranty for too long.

YMMV.
__________________
Go 50i or go home
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:20 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.