Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > Electronics > Navigation System
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-01-2010, 06:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: b
Posts: 15
spyder8 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Connect iPhone/iPod Touch (audio+video) on MKIV navigation computer

Hi all,

Just got my car with an MKIV navigation computer and am now considering how to connect my iPhone for multimedia (the Bluetooth connection works flawlessly for making and receiving phone calls).

Currently I foresee following use cases:
  1. iPhone/iPod Touch: music (audio stereo) => MKIV aux + MKIV navigation
  2. iPhone/iPod Touch: video (eg video podcast) (video + audio stereo) => MKIV TV + MKIV navigation
  3. iPhone: navigation (eg Mobile Navigator) (video + audio stereo) + music (stereo) => MKIV TV

I have been reading about NavTweak, NavCoder and already bought the official BMW auxiliary connection retrofit kit 65 12 0 153 503, but have some questions before I start taking my dashboard apart and start wiring:
  1. Do I need a TV module? I just want to trigger the MKIV to take input from a stereo input and TV video input? What extra modules would be required, or is it just a matter of wiring correctly? I started compiling a list of multimedia interfaces, but could use some extra suggestions / cheaper options.
  2. Would I need to wire cables from the trunk to the front of the car, or is there a dashboard alternative?
  3. Where can I connect the 12V power source for the iPhone/iPod Touch?
  4. Is there a wiring diagram available for the MKIV (front unit, navigation computer, CD changer, other additional components)?
  5. Has anyone got experience with ScreenSplitr to get video output from Mobile Navigator? Would the sound also be routed? Are there any alternatives?
  6. What is the resolution of the MKIV screen? The current Apple Component AV and Apple Composite AV cables can output 480p, but there are rumours that the cable will be replaced by a general Apple AV Cable. Does anyone have experience using these cables? Would my video output have black horizontal bars?

Ideally, I would like to guide all cables through the vent and have following setup:
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 05-01-2010, 08:33 AM
ccfj1's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The UK.
Posts: 1,934
ccfj1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder8 View Post
Hi all,

Just got my car with an MKIV navigation computer and am now considering how to connect my iPhone for multimedia (the Bluetooth connection works flawlessly for making and receiving phone calls).

Currently I foresee following use cases:
  1. iPhone/iPod Touch: music (audio stereo) => MKIV aux + MKIV navigation
  2. iPhone/iPod Touch: video (eg video podcast) (video + audio stereo) => MKIV TV + MKIV navigation
  3. iPhone: navigation (eg Mobile Navigator) (video + audio stereo) + music (stereo) => MKIV TV
OK, sounds reasonable.

Quote:
I have been reading about NavTweak, NavCoder and already bought the official BMW auxiliary connection retrofit kit 65 12 0 153 503, but have some questions before I start taking my dashboard apart and start wiring:
  1. Do I need a TV module? I just want to trigger the MKIV to take input from a stereo input and TV video input? What extra modules would be required, or is it just a matter of wiring correctly? I started compiling a list of multimedia interfaces, but could use some extra suggestions / cheaper options.
Yes, you need the TV module, it's the only way to use the screen.

Quote:
  1. Would I need to wire cables from the trunk to the front of the car, or is there a dashboard alternative?
Trunk, use an AV input lead (to the Tv module) and then RCA it to the glovebox.

Quote:
  1. Where can I connect the 12V power source for the iPhone/iPod Touch?
Fuse board.(glovebox)

Quote:
  1. Is there a wiring diagram available for the MKIV (front unit, navigation computer, CD changer, other additional components)?
I'll pm you a zip with all of them in (its on my work computer
Quote:
  1. Has anyone got experience with ScreenSplitr to get video output from Mobile Navigator? Would the sound also be routed? Are there any alternatives?
Sorry no.
Quote:
  1. What is the resolution of the MKIV screen? The current Apple Component AV and Apple Composite AV cables can output 480p, but there are rumours that the cable will be replaced by a general Apple AV Cable. Does anyone have experience using these cables? Would my video output have black horizontal bars?
I run my ipod video through the TV module and dont have a problem, not sure what the resolution is but the TV module takes care of it.

This is what I do.

YouTube - ccfj1's Channel

HTH
__________________
Sept 03, M3, Silver Grey. Retro-fits: Modded Mk4 DVD Drive, OEM Bluetooth, VR Control, Rainbow Speaker Upgrade, Sony SOT Amp, HK Sub, CCFL, Intravee II, NightMode.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-01-2010, 01:08 PM
papasmurf's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 465
papasmurf is on a distinguished road
Soundgate also makes a video bypass for the nav. The part number is VIDBMW1V4, and it will do back-up camera and video in motion.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: b
Posts: 15
spyder8 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfj1 View Post
Yes, you need the TV module, it's the only way to use the screen.
So modules like the Soundgate VIDBMW1V4 (mono), Dietz multimedia interface 1260 (stereo) or Toysinyourcar AV input (stereo) still need the TV module?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfj1 View Post
Trunk, use an AV input lead (to the Tv module) and then RCA it to the glovebox.
Wow, that is a long way - which way do you wire the cables?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: b
Posts: 15
spyder8 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf View Post
Soundgate also makes a video bypass for the nav. The part number is VIDBMW1V4, and it will do back-up camera and video in motion.
Great! I added it to the list. Does the Soundgate do stereo?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-01-2010, 06:41 PM
X5 Meister's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nordschleife
Posts: 5,486
X5 Meister is on a distinguished road
Nav screen is 16:9, 6.5" diagonal, 400 x 234 resolution.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-02-2010, 02:03 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,575
KiwiJochen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf View Post
Soundgate also makes a video bypass for the nav. The part number is VIDBMW1V4, and it will do back-up camera and video in motion.
Remember that only the BMW TV tuner interacts the video with the nav properly

eg:
Nav issues instructions for a pending event: TV audio mutes and nav instructions are heard

Nav issues instructions for an imminent event: TV audio mutes, video picture switches to Nav, and nav instructions are seen and heard

This functionality is ONLY with the BMW TV tuner, it does not work when using any other video switching device
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: b
Posts: 15
spyder8 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 Meister View Post
Nav screen is 16:9, 6.5" diagonal, 400 x 234 resolution.
iPhone is 480 x 320, but AV cable outputs 480i (NTSC) or 576i (PAL) so should be ok in combination with TV module
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-03-2010, 03:01 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: b
Posts: 15
spyder8 is on a distinguished road
Was looking at the manual of the Dietz TV module and saw that they have a way to switch a PAL input format between 16:9, 16:9 zoom and 4:3. Can you zoom with the BMW TV module?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-03-2010, 08:31 AM
UCrewX5's Avatar
co-founder
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hockeytown, USA
Posts: 9,739
UCrewX5 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder8 View Post
Was looking at the manual of the Dietz TV module and saw that they have a way to switch a PAL input format between 16:9, 16:9 zoom and 4:3. Can you zoom with the BMW TV module?
no, the BMW TV module doesn't have the capability to zoom
__________________

Xoutpost.com - where you come for the information but stay for the friendships
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:47 PM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.