Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X3 (E83) Forum
Arnott
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2022, 03:22 AM

getty150 is on a distinguished road
Fan not starting

Fan usually kicks on after a min or so after engine starts.
Switched it with a known running fan and that fan didn't respond too.
Could it be one of the thermostats?

Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2022, 10:47 AM

RocketyMan is on a distinguished road
Can you be more specific and give more information? Are you referring to the engine fan? And also, are you saying that normally after starting your car from, say a cold start, the fan will come on?

This would not be normal behavior--unless you are running the A/C. You can test the fan very easily if you were to use a capable scanner with INPA.
Old 05-03-2022, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketyMan View Post
Can you be more specific and give more information? Are you referring to the engine fan? And also, are you saying that normally after starting your car from, say a cold start, the fan will come on?

This would not be normal behavior--unless you are running the A/C. You can test the fan very easily if you were to use a capable scanner with INPA.
I don't have inpa.The fan is ment to engage when the car is at stop or idel.
I'm having troubles (unit will not power on) with the engine fan. Code 279D comes up now. How do i initiate the fan for cooling the radiator so that i can avoid over heating the m54 with 216k miles .
Thanks for your help...
Old 05-05-2022, 01:11 AM

RocketyMan is on a distinguished road
Check the wiring. I wouldn't just start throwing parts at it.

Also, I would suggest getting INPA. The adapter cable is cheap and can help assist many T/S steps along the way.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getty150 View Post
I don't have inpa.The fan is ment to engage when the car is at stop or idel.
I'm having troubles (unit will not power on) with the engine fan. Code 279D comes up now. How do i initiate the fan for cooling the radiator so that i can avoid over heating the m54 with 216k miles .
Thanks for your help...
I'm simply buying a fan from Amazon...from what I researched this is a common internal problem (second stage unit) not meant to be repaired.
I did go to a electrical unit repair shop...guy says there's nothing that can be done.
The code 279D, points to the second stage unit burning out ?
It's not something that's sold.
However, in my research this unit is also on Volvo cars and Ford cars...i stopped my efforts at that point.
So i now have 3 good looking fans but faulty with the internal second stage unit going kaput...when i have the time i may investigate repairs if possible.

Last edited by getty150; 05-20-2022 at 01:57 AM.
Old 05-24-2022, 06:39 PM

Electric Fan Failure – Symptoms of a failing unit

The symptoms described below could be caused by other issues not related to the electric fan.
However the items noted have been documented as occurring when a fan assembly unit has caused the condition.

Not all symptoms may appear.
The nature of the fan control module and the relationship
to the DME and IHKA may cause the fan to operate at certain times and not at others.

Creeping temperature needle at idle or slow speed
The temperature needle begins to climb upward toward the red and may continue to a critical point if the car does not increase speed (increasing moving air). This is caused by a hot engine unable to cool from a lack of moving air. The fan may not be spinning at certain request levels or may not be spinning at all.

AC working intermittently
The DME monitors the activities of the engine coolant temperature and has the ability to override IHKA requests. If the DME senses that the engine coolant temperature is too high it will shut off the AC compressor in cycles to lower the overall temperatures. This is described in detail in Chapter 2

-How the Electric Fan Operates- Compressor Shut Off Signal.

ET explodes or cracks
Exploding ET’s are not uncommon for the e46. However the cause is not always immediately known.

Overfilled expansion tanks are the number one cause of exploding ET’s. Or Aging plastic also contributes to the ultimate failure however the increased pressure by overheated coolant is often the precipitator for the ET to burst open or crack causing immediate critical overheat potential.

The failure of the electric fan to reduce coolant temperatures may be an underlying condition or primary cause.

Overnight battery failure

For many years owners have reported the Electric Fan as the root cause of significant battery drains (and ultimate battery replacement) on e46’s. In one case the fan was witnessed to be spinning hours after the vehicle had been shut down. In another the fan was not spinning but the fan control module was consuming current and heating up. Typically this drain is not parasitic, inferring a small
continual discharge. The circuit for the electric fan is though the 50 amp Fuse #37 in the glovebox.

This drain by the aux fan can take a fully charged battery to dead in a few hours. More info relating to this type of issue can be found here:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1042486 and

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1080952

Last edited by getty150; 07-28-2023 at 05:40 AM.
Old 07-28-2023, 05:13 AM

UPDATE:Fan now functioning. Started a day after the above post. Now I have additional fans on the shelf.
Used the Foxwell scanner to clear the 279D fault code. Bam the fan starts...on the same day the ordered fan comes in the mail from Amazon. New fan is much quieter then the OEM. I now switch up fans at the change of seasons.

Sent from my TMAF035G using Tapatalk

Last edited by getty150; 07-28-2023 at 05:36 AM.