Home Forums Articles How To's FAQ Register
Go Back   Xoutpost.com > BMW SAV Forums > X5 (E53) Forum
Fluid Motor Union
User Name
Password
Member List Premier Membership Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Xoutpost server transfer and maintenance is occurring....
Xoutpost is currently undergoing a planned server migration.... stay tuned for new developments.... sincerely, the management


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-16-2008, 03:08 AM
TwinsPoppa's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 3,523
TwinsPoppa is on a distinguished road
How to re-use the 4.8 rear flares ...

If you have a 4.8 and want to install the aluminum running board kit, normally you have to buy the rear flares that work with the running board kit. This normally adds $400-$500 in cost. Then, if you want the front flares too that will add another $400-$500. So, that adds up to $800-$1000 more that you have to spend over the cost of the Aluminum Running Board Kit ($500-$600). I'm going to show you how to re-use the rear flares so all you need to buy is just the running board kit - just like 3.0 & 4.4 owners!

I will not go over how to remove them. The running board kit will have instructions on how to remove all the wheel arches. All that's entailed is removing some plastic rivets.

So, here's what it will look like when you remove it. Notice the 6 metal clips that hold the flare to the wheel arch.



Remove the 6 metal clips. I used a small flathead screwdriver to pop them out (in the pic is a pointed one but the flathead is better). Insert the screwdriver into the side slots (looks like this > or <) and carefully pry the clips open to remove them. Separate the flare from the wheel arch.



Next make a stencil that will mark the location of the slots. You will need to make slots in the rear wheel arches that come with the running board kit. Then you can attach your old flares to it. Lay down the old flare on some cardboard paper. Traced the outside first to get the shape. Then keep cutting it until the stencil fits INSIDE the wheel arch. When its close to the proper fit, lay the cardboard inside and pressed it down until it makes creases on the edges - easy way to get the shape. My cardboard wasn't big enough so I had to make it out of 2 pieces then taped them together. You don't need an EXACT match. You only need to make sure that if fits inside BUT not move around. I used the pointed end section as my starting point and then kept fitting it inside from there. Once finished tape the stencil to the inside of the your old wheel arch. You only need to tape it near where there are slots. Turn it over so you can see the slots and use an exacto knife to cut slot openings into the stencil.




Afterwards, remove the stencil from your old wheel arch. Attach it, with tape, to the INSIDE of the matching rear wheel arch from your running board kit. Then use something to trace the slot opening onto the new wheel arch. I used a pointy screwdriver and scored the outline. Now take an exacto knife and cut the slot openings on the new wheel arch. The plastic is not very thick and soft enough. I started drilling it out but the exacto knife was faster.




Take the flare and attach it to your new wheel arch. Now push in those metal clips and you're all done! Make sure when you attach the flare that it fits flush on the bottom (side towards the tire) and outside (side where the flare attaches). My slots turned out to be too low at first so the flare was sitting too low. So, I just cut the slots bigger on the top side only - so the flare would fit higher and be flush on the bottom. The slots don't have to be perfect. The corners of the metal clips keep it from moving in all directions. Here's the final assembly with the clips on.




If you want running boards and rear flares only, buy this:
Aluminum Running Board Kit = Part 51710017315 ($499 at BMW of Bloomfield, NJ)
Then re-use the rear flares as shown above.

If you want running boards, rear flares & front flares, buy these:
Aluminum Running Board Kit = Part 51710017315 ($499 at BMW of Bloomfield, NJ)
Front/Left Wheel Arch with flare = 51717051037 ($200 at BMW of Bloomfield, NJ)
Front/Right Wheel Arch with flare = 51717051038 ($200 at BMW of Bloomfield, NJ)
Then re-use the rear flares as shown above.


Hope this helps and Good luck!
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

  #2  
Old 11-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Icer006's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 607
Icer006 is on a distinguished road
Perfect info. Much more concise information than what I've seen in other threads RE: running boards.

Thank you!
__________________
--
08 Cayenne GTS
05 Cayenne Turbo
--
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Port Orange
Posts: 67
markesq is on a distinguished road
I found out about this issue on the fly. When I pulled off the rear flares I noticed that the new ones were not as wide. No where did I find any information regarding that problem.

One of my flares is not flush, the plastic tabs and metal clips are not working that great. I am probably going to JB weld it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-16-2008, 07:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Orlando/Coral Gables, FL
Posts: 237
E55AMG2 is on a distinguished road
What wheels are those?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-16-2008, 11:33 PM
TwinsPoppa's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 3,523
TwinsPoppa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by E55AMG2
What wheels are those?
20" x 9.5" M5 Reps from Ebay (EUROWHEELSUSA)

More pics on this thread:
http://www.xoutpost.com/x5-e53-forum/...-search-x.html
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-17-2008, 12:28 AM
ca911's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Global
Posts: 430
ca911 is on a distinguished road
so where are the pics of the running boards on your x?!
__________________
Vehicles:

1. 2005 4.8is X5 Sapphire Black Metallic/Black Leather, fully loaded (Nav, Comfort Seats, Rear Climate, Sliding Load Floor, Heated Front and Rear Seats, Aux In)
2. 2004 3.0i X5 Jet Black/Black Leather (Lemoned)
3. 1999 Saab 9-5 Turbo (Trade In/Retired)


My Custom X Page (Pics of my 4.8is)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-17-2008, 12:38 AM
TwinsPoppa's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 3,523
TwinsPoppa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca911
so where are the pics of the running boards on your x?!
Hey Phil! Hahahaha! Really I'm too lazy (and tired) to take pics right now.

I still have some more pics to update this DYI to make it a little clearer. I did one side of the car Saturday night and finished the other side Sunday morning. Of course, things went slower since I was taking pics and figuring things out. However, the other side went without a hitch.

If you add running boards, let me know and I'll tell you some tips. Also, to me, the boards give the car a more luxurious look. If you want a more aggressive look I would not add the running boards.

Pics with the running boards will be posted on my other thread or MY Xpage.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-17-2008, 12:50 AM
Icer006's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 607
Icer006 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If you want running boards and rear flares only, buy this:
Aluminum Running Board Kit = Part 51710017315 ($499 at BMW of Bloomfield, NJ)
Then re-use the rear flares as shown above.
I didn't realize that no-front-flares was an option for the 4.8. This is not a bad price.
__________________
--
08 Cayenne GTS
05 Cayenne Turbo
--
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-17-2008, 12:56 AM
TwinsPoppa's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 3,523
TwinsPoppa is on a distinguished road
Okay, Okay ... here's 2 quick pics I just took tonight. Just for you Phil! Notice the new front flares too. They finish the look nicely as the front wheels are set out more than ideal.



Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-17-2008, 01:34 PM
mrbmwx5's Avatar
Premier Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brownstwn,Michigan.
Posts: 4,794
mrbmwx5 is on a distinguished road
that is exactly what i did to added on mine fenders flares and the bumper supports for my 3.0i






Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsPoppa
If you have a 4.8 and want to install the aluminum running board kit, normally you have to buy the rear flares that work with the running board kit. This normally adds $400-$500 in cost. Then, if you want the front flares too that will add another $400-$500. So, that adds up to $800-$1000 more that you have to spend over the cost of the Aluminum Running Board Kit ($500-$600). I'm going to show you how to re-use the rear flares so all you need to buy is just the running board kit - just like 3.0 & 4.4 owners!

I will not go over how to remove them. The running board kit will have instructions on how to remove all the wheel arches. All that's entailed is removing some plastic rivets.

So, here's what it will look like when you remove it. Notice the 6 metal clips that hold the flare to the wheel arch.



Remove the 6 metal clips. I used a small flathead screwdriver to pop them out (in the pic is a pointed one but the flathead is better). Insert the screwdriver into the side slots (looks like this > or <) and carefully pry the clips open to remove them. Separate the flare from the wheel arch.



Next make a stencil that will mark the location of the slots. You will need to make slots in the rear wheel arches that come with the running board kit. Then you can attach your old flares to it. Lay down the old flare on some cardboard paper. Traced the outside first to get the shape. Then keep cutting it until the stencil fits INSIDE the wheel arch. When its close to the proper fit, lay the cardboard inside and pressed it down until it makes creases on the edges - easy way to get the shape. My cardboard wasn't big enough so I had to make it out of 2 pieces then taped them together. You don't need an EXACT match. You only need to make sure that if fits inside BUT not move around. I used the pointed end section as my starting point and then kept fitting it inside from there. Once finished tape the stencil to the inside of the your old wheel arch. You only need to tape it near where there are slots. Turn it over so you can see the slots and use an exacto knife to cut slot openings into the stencil.




Afterwards, remove the stencil from your old wheel arch. Attach it, with tape, to the INSIDE of the matching rear wheel arch from your running board kit. Then use something to trace the slot opening onto the new wheel arch. I used a pointy screwdriver and scored the outline. Now take an exacto knife and cut the slot openings on the new wheel arch. The plastic is not very thick and soft enough. I started drilling it out but the exacto knife was faster.




Take the flare and attach it to your new wheel arch. Now push in those metal clips and you're all done! Make sure when you attach the flare that it fits flush on the bottom (side towards the tire) and outside (side where the flare attaches). My slots turned out to be too low at first so the flare was sitting too low. So, I just cut the slots bigger on the top side only - so the flare would fit higher and be flush on the bottom. The slots don't have to be perfect. The corners of the metal clips keep it from moving in all directions. Here's the final assembly with the clips on.




If you want running boards and rear flares only, buy this:
Aluminum Running Board Kit = Part 51710017315 ($499 at BMW of Bloomfield, NJ)
Then re-use the rear flares as shown above.

If you want running boards, rear flares & front flares, buy these:
Aluminum Running Board Kit = Part 51710017315 ($499 at BMW of Bloomfield, NJ)
Front/Left Wheel Arch with flare = 51717051037 ($200 at BMW of Bloomfield, NJ)
Front/Right Wheel Arch with flare = 51717051038 ($200 at BMW of Bloomfield, NJ)
Then re-use the rear flares as shown above.


Hope this helps and Good luck!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:59 AM.
vBulletin, Copyright 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
2017 Xoutpost.com. All rights reserved. Xoutpost.com is a private enthusiast site not associated with BMW AG.
The BMW name, marks, M stripe logo, and Roundel logo as well as X3, X5 and X6 designations used in the pages of this Web Site are the property of BMW AG.
This web site is not sponsored or affiliated in any way with BMW AG or any of its subsidiaries.